Thursday, October 18, 2007

Good week...


Having a good couple of days so far. We switched from his soy milk to almond milk after the O'soy yogurt scare and coincidence or not, he has been very focused and peaceful! It's been a week now. It's one of those..was it the extra probiotic? The new yogurt? Or the almond milk? Coincidence? Hmmm like everything in autism. Who knows!?!


He has continued to work on tracing his name and matching very well. His teacher wrote a note that he matched cards with the months on them to a board with the same names. I did not believe it, but she was right! When I tried it at home, not only did he do it but he did it quickly and accurately.


We have also noticed he is holding his containers during lunch the right way! Isn't it sad the stuff that we come to admire? I wanted him to finish his banana which was cut up inside a plastic container. He held it with his left hand, angled it towards him to reach better and pinched it with the fork on his right hand! Just last month we had to show him hand over hand (like we have been doing forever) that he has to support it with his left hand or it will slide off the table. Here he was doing it all like second nature.


Woohoo! Baby steps but still getting to that final goal!


Lastly, he has been getting even better with his dancing. My son loves to dance and usually does so with great rhythm: always on beat. It's gotten only better. He craves choreography from me which I gladly do of course. Loves to follow along as he looks in the mirror and flashes that amazing smile. He is so happy and it's one of those things that helps us get through all the negative stuff. That beautiful giggle and smile....Sigh.

2 comments:

GFCF Mommy said...

I think it is great Dylan is using his "helping hand" to hold the cup or bowl when eating. We've been working on this a long time too and still have to remind Eric. Now if we could have some consistent use of utentils instead of fingers!

I know what you mean, those adaptive skills are so hard won for our kids, but that makes me all the more proud of them. Though I know parents who haven't gone through this don't exactly understand!

Way to go you guys! The academic skills seem to be coming so fast too! Woo Hoo!!

Katherine

Grandmother Wren said...

This does sound like a good start to your week! Congratulations to Dylan for his accomplishments - I hope the rest of your week continues along this path!