
As we left speech therapy, my son wanted to stay and watch the TV in the lobby. I urged him to walk with me. He jumped and landed on the floor right outside the therapy center screaming loudly and his back flat on the floor. He did this like 7 times or so, until I picked him up like a big heavy sack of potatoes and carried him halfway to the car. I put him down because he is heavy and I thought he was better. Bad idea. He jumped again and dropped himself on the floor screaming like I was killing him, crying using his throat. He was not there…he was gone, blank stare and all. Every time I was successful in picking him up, he would do the same and attempt to run back to the lobby. When he could not, he would jump and drop again. To make things better, he then rolled over and over and over in the middle of the parking lot as he screamed. I finally gathered some strength, picked him up high again as he threw his head back in full tantrum and pinned him with my shoulder to the car seat to buckle him in. Once buckled in, he was in full rage screaming and not letting me pick up my keys from beneath him (which I had dropped to buckle him in as he purposely threw his legs up towards my head!) I finally pinned them down and got my keys. As I closed the door and walked around to my side, I could hear him outside of the car screaming and kicking! Wow!
It was a trance-like transformation. Earlier, he had been super verbal, singing and so happy. Who is this person crying? I drove back and finally broke down crying. Although during the episode, I remained super calm. I stood watching him for some time trying to figure out what the hell he was doing and why! Five minutes later, he was happy like nothing happened.
We got home and he was happy, but when it was nap time he did the same thing. I usually lay down next to him until he falls asleep. I just stayed there as he screamed and screamed. He is doing a new sim thing. It's like he is trying to catch his breath (but it' s not precisely that). Maybe he has some pain, but can't and doesn't know to tell me. His heart was racing fast. I finally caught him off guard and held his face really tight and said "Sleepy time now!" He cried a teeny bit more, turned over and crashed...all within 15 seconds of me doing that. Like I snapped him out of it.
So much for my good news. Must be the side effects I hear about all the time from some of the supplements? Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better? But hey, I will take 30 steps forward and 2 back ANY TIME!
On a funny note, they just called from the center about some financial thing and I completely thought they were calling to find out about the mad woman who was carrying her crazy child against his will to the car today. Ha! Gotta find the humor in it, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment