Tuesday, June 22, 2010

It's time...

So where was I all this time? Well, when I last blogged I announced I was pregnant. I had another baby boy, Quinn, in May 2009. That in itself was full of challenges. The past year and a half was mainly about my pregnancy, transitioning into life from 1 to 2 kids and all that it entails.

School started as usual that fall and Kai began 2nd grade. He had a new teacher who I really liked, but I began to get fed up with the administration and the lack of attention to "our" ASD kids. I spent the last three years trying to do things for the kids at the school. I attempted to organize a parent support group, became room mom and helped organize their parties and anything needed. I chaperoned field trips, volunteered more often than not and each time I was welcomed with a slap in the face, attitudes, and red tape. By the time January 2010 came, I was done. We started paperwork to get him out of the public school system and enrolled him in a private school. Did I mention that the last straw was when I encountered resistance to bringing in an air purifier to my son's room? Yet another lifestyle change came our way. We now have payments we did not have before given the school is 30 minutes from our house! It had to be done. He is 8. We refused to let him rot in the public school system and not give him a chance at a better education. I cannot waste time fighting for his rights so that by the time he is 20 and too late I might have made a dent in all their red-tape bullshit. Not happening. Not on my watch. 

This last March we switched doctors to one four hours from our house. So far, so good. He also started hippotherapy and has been doing a social skills group once a week as well. We have all been busy making sure the kids' needs are met.

Quinn has been a blessing and a joy to our entire family. He is a very happy, social and laid-back baby. He just turned a year old and does have some motor skill delays (no crawling, pulling up or walking), but no autism. He started to babble at 11 months, said "momma" at 12 months and is beginning to wave bye-bye. Late, but it's there. He has great eye contact too! We have taken every known precaution before and during the pregnancy and this past year. Only time will tell if we beat the autism monster or not. Kai loves to steal Quinn's toys, and Quinn just adores to watch all he does intently.

I recently took a leave of absence from my job to care full-time for Quinn and truly dedicate this next year to catching him up with his therapies and at home care. This should leave more time to blog. I am glad to be back. I have missed it!

Hope everyone has a fantastic summer!

2 comments:

Kristi V said...

Quinn's Quest...clever. :) Glad you're back!

Travis M. said...

I would love to hear more about the hippotherapy and how that is going for you.

Also I have a private Autism question for you if you could email me at tmitchell@sti-us.net

Thanks,

Love your blog.