Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Mommy and Daddy Autism Bank


"That will be $540.00. Do I charge that to your credit card?"

Sure, why not, add it to all the other crap we owe. What the hell, right?

My husband was right. Darn it. I hate when he is right, or more, I hate when I'm not right. Does that make sense?

I had just met with our DAN doc. We had to go over the ever famous French Porphyrin test results. Yeah, yeah, the ones we can't accurately get done in the states supposedly, yadda yadda yadda.

Turns out they were inconclusive, though there was an alarming amount of lead present. Not surprised, not after all the other tests; urine toxic metals and stool test showed a high level of toxicity. I am over my initial shock. The initial shock of my little 5 year old having such high levels in his body. But I digress....

"It's going to be $500.00 bucks" my husband said before I left. "No, it's not!" I replied. Drove an hour south to meet the doctor and 50 minutes back. Do I count the gas I spent on my car as well? I should, right? Got there, spoke to the doc for a good 15 minutes and that was that. The consultation was actually only $200.00 but the supplements we were running out of were $340.00 altogether. Then off to the supermarket for another $200.00 in organic groceries for just, you know, the basics.

How does this happen? And how do most families do this without going bankrupt?

Drove back home pondering on what had just transpired.
I mean, really, something has to change. Except, it can't.

We cannot take him off of his supplements. The ones he has been doing so good on. We cannot take the chance of him eating all of this food full of additives, hormones and pesticides. It has to be organic. Right? I see the good it's doing and that is the best proof there is but geez it's pretty steep.

Up on my next spending radar? A exterminator contract with all natural products, the pharmacy supplements which were separate from the other supplements I got at the docs, school uniforms, speech therapy sessions at a new place, and hippotherapy.






No comments: