Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A visit to the neuro...

Gotta love doctors and procedures.


Let's see, I arrived at 12:20 for a 1pm appt. because I had to fill out paperwork. Paperwork that was given to me at 5 till 1pm. You know, by the time my son was going insane in the waiting room. Thankfully, I took my mom or I would not have been able to do it alone. Walk in to a waiting room with no toys, but a clear view of the other room that was full of them. The nurse insisted he stay in the room without toys because the dr. would bring out his own. I ignored her and let him go get a couple of the toys and brought them into the waiting room with me. Good thing I did because the doctor didn't appear for another 20 minutes. Urgh. What is he supposed to do in a gray, square, boring room for 20 minutes? Sit still? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! He doesn't understand! You would think this place, an all autism center, would know that. Did she want him having a tantrum when the doctor came in?

In came the doctor and said: " How can I help you, anything I can help you with?" Huh?  You mean it's not obvious that my child has autism and I am here for your opinion? Are you kidding me? Let's see "My child has autism and I am here for your opinion." Shocker. This is called the AUTISM center, no?

The neuro basically said that all he needs is speech intervention. No shit? Speech intervention and the autism is cured? Wow, boy, where have you been all my life? What about all the intervention he has had up to now? He also requested a brain MRI and a genetics test to "rule out" anything that "could" be wrong 100%. He thinks there is nothing wrong, but just in case.

What about all the sensory issues he has? All the stimming? Echolalia? Scripting? "Oh yeah, that will go away with maturity." Really? Yeah, I see how that theory holds true.

Only good thing I got out of it is that in order to get him into speech there he needs a prescription and I got him to write it. I had all the admission paperwork ready and turned it in on my way out.

I agree he needs speech, but he HAS been getting speech. For the past 2 years. He acted like I was new to autism the way he was talking to me.


I did not mention any alternative intervention because # 1 he did not inquire and #2 also did not ask about his diet. Of course, he would have probably rolled his eyes at it because, gee, don't we all know that speech intervention is the cure for autism?

I will do the MRI and genetic testing. Hoping his other doctor will do the bloodwork so I don't have to go to a Quest or Labcorp place. I will ask his doctor what he thinks of sedation for my son, what it's done with and take it from there.

Thanks for reading my rant. On to the next chapter...




Image and video hosting by TinyPic





1 comment:

B said...

Funny, just rereading my old posts. I can't believe that I didn't mention that this neuro is also the HEAD of the autism department at this center. Crazy.